When preaching in very small congregations, I usually work just from memory or skimpy notes, so this one was not written out. But you can get the gist, I hope.
B: Advent III (2011)
St Andrew’s, Paris / Trinity, Mattoon
Isaiah 64:1-4, 8-11
I Thessalonians 5:16-24
MESSAGE: Seeing what God is doing leads inevitably to rejoicing.
• The shape of Advent … Gaudete Sunday
• J the B … “Why are you doing what you’re doing?” … “Because this is BIG, really BIG!!”
• Isaiah: good news to everyone who is disenfranchised, marginalized, and victimized by injustice and exploitation … the good guys win in the end (Jerusalem restored)
• This is God’s “project,” and the coming Christ is a pivotal moment in the execution of that project (hence, John’s enthusiasm)
• Nod toward Ps 126
• So … per Paul: Rejoice! “The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.”