Epiphany

  • Usual routine. Morning Prayer in the cathedral.
  • Processed a batch of emails.
  • Wrote three (snail mail) letters to lay leaders in one of our Eucharistic Communities, hoping to be in clearer communication regarding some pressing concerns.
  • Once in a while, I get to play with hot wax (under the close supervision of Sue Spring, of course). This time it was to put a seal on the Letter of Institution for Father Mark Evans, who was formally inducted as Rector of Trinity, Lincoln this evening.
  • Tackled yet another project related to personal organization--tidying up the files on my hard drive (actually, in Dropbox). Like the physical world, the law of entropy applies to the cyber-world as well, and periodic maintenance needs to be done in order to avoid hair-tearing-out situations down the road.
  • Lunch at home.
  • Revised the forms that clergy and prospective marriage partners are required to complete when one or both of the couple have been previously married to someone who is still living. (They need the Bishop's permission to go forward.)
  • Met with a wood worker who's going to make some elegant holes in my desk while I'm away later this month so I'm not constantly juggling and running the wheels of my chair over sundry wires as I work there. 
  • My Friday prayer time consisted of meditating on the poetry and scripture in Ralph Vaughan Williams' 1954 Christmas cantata Hodie. I listen to this piece during the twelve days of Christmas every year, and it keeps on giving back to me, yielding nuggets of spiritual insight and closeness to Christ. It's just wonderful, and I feel grateful for the opportunity to just bathe in it all before putting it back on the shelf until next Christmas.
  • Performed a couple of minor administrative chores.
  • Evening Prayer in the cathedral.
  • To Trinity, Lincoln for the institution and induction of Fr Mark Evans as Rector. Trinity was the first congregation-in-transition that I worked with after becoming bishop (other than an emergency situation in another parish), so it was a blessing to see the fruition of all that labor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring 2018 House of Bishops, Day 3

The Fourth Sunday after the Epiphany

Saturday (St Charles, King & Martyr)