Saturday

  • This being Christmas Day for Orthodox Christians on the Julian calendar, I accompanied the Archdeacon to Benld for the Divine Liturgy at the Church of the Dormition of the Theotokos (aka St Maria's), an old and very beautiful church in the jurisdiction of what used to be known as the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR) which, as of the last few years is back in full communion with the Orthodox Church in America after several decades of separation. The congregation was small--about 20--but the service was lovely. Fr Denney and I were singled out as honored guests during the announcements, and we got to sample some delicacies imported from Russia during the coffee hour.

  • In the afternoon, Brenda and I attended a "Twelfth Night" (transferred to "fourteenth afternoon") at the home of Deacon Tom and Elisabeth Langford, which, on account of the guest list, turned out to be a sort of warmup act for our visit tomorrow to Trinity, Jacksonville. A delightful event, which we very much enjoyed.
  • After a nap, I set to work on assembling the treadmill that I bought last Monday and had delivered on Thursday. As I go off to bed, it's still only partially assembled. Not a pretty story, but it includes a 25 minute online chat with an "expert." If I were a less charitable person, I would post a transcript of the entire conversation. 

Comments

  1. The Benld parish is indeed a beauty tucked away in the Illinois prairie. The last I'd heard they'd hoped that a monastic community of women from Russia could come and take up residence there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spring 2018 House of Bishops, Day 3

The Fourth Sunday after the Epiphany

Saturday (St Charles, King & Martyr)