St Matthew

Back at the Radical Vocations (RADVO) conference, a Communion Partners-sponsored event at the Church of the Incarnation in Dallas. Mass for the feast day in a “chapel” that is larger than any of the churches in the Diocese of Springfield. The morning keynoter was the Revd Dr Oliver O’Donovan, who spoke on the task, art, and craft of preaching, Breakout groups followed, but I found myself so waylaid by people whom I know in real life, people who I had previously known only in cyberspace, and people whom I had never met before, that I never made it to any of them. I broke away around 1140 to head to the Lakewood Country Club, where the Communion Partner bishops and a handful of rectors, had a private lunch with the Archbishop of Canterbury. I think I can safely characterize it as positive and productive as we head toward the next Lambeth Conference in 2020. Then back to Incarnation and more impromptu meetings until evensong at 5:00, followed by a dinner at which the bishops were asked to spread themselves among the table and generally be available to attendees. The conference is geared toward young people who are discerning or considering discerning a vocation to ordination. The after-dinner speaker was Bishop Tony Burton, rector of Incarnation, who shared his own path to ministry. Then the bishops gathered once again to debrief from our meeting with Archbishop Welby and take counsel about future endeavors. I cannot fail to note what a joy it is to be around so many Episcopalians who are orthodox in their faith, including so many who are so young. It gives me a measure of hope for the future of this church.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring 2018 House of Bishops, Day 3

The Fourth Sunday after the Epiphany

Saturday (St Charles, King & Martyr)